Here's what you'll need (aside from the basics):
-felt, I used 11" x 4"
Here's how I did it:
1. Cut felt to appropriate size. Fold up one side to the half way-ish point.
2. Cut the unfolded side in a rounded, hill-like manner.
Tip break: To thread a needle with embroidery thread see pics below:
3. Using embroidery threaded needle, sew around the three sides of the rectangle to make a pocket. PS- You don't REALLY have to do the bottom...I just like the way the embroidery thread looks. :)
4. Whipstitch around the edge of the "flap" of the envelope. Just makes it a little sturdier and little kids are going to be using these...so it's necessary!
5. Cut a button hole in the flap (pinch and snip the fold). Whipstitch around the INSIDE of the button hole...also for durability. Check my "excellent" handstitching skills...a little bit of the handmade look isn't bad, right??
6. Mark where the button should go opposite the hole by holding the flap down and taking a pen and marking right through the hole. Sew a button on the main envelope part and...DONE!
But WAIT!!! Did I mention these are for my GIRLS...so I think we need a little something extra...