Homemade Pasta...yep, I did that!

Friday, June 25, 2010

I will tell you that everytime I home-make something I think, "I wonder if anyone I went to high school with ever would've imagined I would do this?" The answer is always the same---never in a million YEARS!! So anyway, I guess I've come into my own with this whole homemade living. It's only recently that I've even been interested in making stuff from scratch...cooking wise. It's not that I'm not a good cook, I'm decent. I'm able to put ingredients together without a recipe, if needed. But I don't just LOVE it...

The thing I do like though is the satisfaction of knowing EXACTLY what is in the food I am serving my family. I really dislike looking at a label and seeing words that I have to think about to pronounce. It's oogie. It makes me want to run to my computer and look up that bunch of consonants--but I don't. I've looked up things on the internet before and it doesn't matter what it is, it says it's bad for you. So, my solution is to make as many things I can on my own with REAL ingredients that can directly traced back to something found on Earth. We don't do this all the time, ofcourse. I figure the occasional pre-packaged, preservative laden foods is better than eating that stuff all the time, right? Right.

Ok, no more rambling--- Homemade Pasta from Blue Cricket Design. I made it today for lunch and it was VERY easy and only takes 2 ingredients (eggs and flour)! It turned out wonderfully well and the girls went on and on about how yummy it was! I was highly pleased with the whole experience! I lightly sauteed some zucchini with olive oil, garlic powder(didn't have fresh, which was kinda dissappointing) and italian seasoning to go with it. We had a little leftover grilled chicken from last night so I threw that in there, too. The pasta itself I just tossed with some olive oil, garlic powder and parmesan. Turned out lovely! Next time I'm going to try it with whole wheat flour and see how that is. We normally eat the pre-made whole wheat pasta, but I decided to follow the recipe exactly for the first try and then trick it up later.

So go make your own pasta! It's easy! You can do it!

PS-- Just went and looked at the ingredients list on the pre-packaged pasta already in the pantry, there was nothing oogie. It lists semolina flour as the only ingredient though...so how is that being held together?? No eggs? Weird. I can only assume that there is something else in there they aren't listing, right? I don't know...

0 comments:

Post a Comment